Tuesday, September 1, 2015

September 11th

September 11, 2001
A day anyone who remembers it, will NEVER forget.
 

I don’t think anyone that was over the age of 12 at the time, could forget where they were the morning of September 11th 2001. I am no different to that matter. I remember it well.
~
I was 19 years old.
I was in my Western Civilization class at college.
I was with 3 of my friends, Tim, Tony and Meghan.
We all just sat down in the massive amphitheater waiting for our professor to get there. Some guy sitting toward the front of class had a lap top and he stood up and mumbled something like “oh my gosh, we’re being attacked” and I remember thinking,
what’s the deal with this guy!?
About 3 minutes later our professor walked in and almost shouting said, go home!
Get in front of a TV!
History is in the making as we speak...
We all sort of looked at each other and got up and left.
I remember we went to Tim's house and put the TV on.
Then I called my mom because I got a little nervous.
She was upset and asked where I was and told me to come right home.
So I did just that. I went home.
We watched on TV as the second plane hit the World Trade Center
It was surreal.
Then news of the crash at The Pentagon came through...
What was happening?! Would it stop!?
It was too much....
Especially living an hour south of NYC - it was a little too close to home for me.
I remember thinking about my cousin and my good friend who both worked in the city.
No one could get in touch with either of them.
I finally got in touch with my friend, who happened to work in the towers, but he didn't go to work that day because he wasn't feeling well, and was working from home.
Talk about eerie.

And the other plane that did not hit its mark.
Those poor people and those brave individuals who diverted that plane in PA....

 
And my cousin finally was able to contact my Aunt.
She walked out of the city in a large crowed and managed to get a ferry across the river to NJ where my uncle ran up to get her from.
Absolutely nothing in this world can prepare you for the feelings that you feel when something like this happens.
And there is no way to erase it from your memory.
I remember we were under a no fly ordinance and no one planes were allowed to fly.
And I remember laying in bed and hearing a plane fly overhead, but being so close to NYC,
I knew it was military, but still - I froze when I heard a plane fly over.
It's sort of like one of those things you're parents say like "I remember where I was when JFK was shot" - unfortunately it's just that kind of tragic event that never escapes you.
 One thing that stands out was President Bush...
 I remember seeing him in jeans and a t-shirt and light jacket standing in the rubble with a megaphone. I remember thinking, wow he's so real right now.
No suit, no prompter, no script, just raw, real and in the moment.

 
 Everyone was just banded together.
And for one of the worst possible reasons.
The attacks on America on 9/11 were heinous.
It was such a horrific act of terror and left such a permanent impact on our country with MANY things changing because of it.
~
9/11
The people who lost their lives.
The people who lost their loved ones.
The first responders.
The injured.
The poor individuals who jumped to their death.
The people who tried to help and lost their lives in the process.
The fire fighters and police officers.
The people who didn't show up to work that day.
To those on the plane to The Pentagon
And those on the plane in PA that crashed...
The people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
And to everyone who is forever affected....
I pray for you...



God Bless America



~Tiffany~


linking up with Andrea

1 comment:

  1. Such a powerful and touching post. Thanks for sharing your memories!
    _Reba
    www.petersenbabytobee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete