Friday, April 8, 2016

Friday Faves - Austin's Birth Story

Well - it's been a HECK of a past 4 weeks. I mean. NOTHING could prepare me for the craziness that has gone down since my baby shower on March 13th. NOTHING.
The weekend of March 12/13 was on my schedule for a long time.
I knew that Friday I was going to clean my house all day and get ready for my cousins to come from PA. I was clearing things out and making room for my baby shower stuff since my shower was that Sunday. Things were pretty typical. Or so I thought.
Rewind to Thursday March 10th.
That night my back was killing me. So I had Ted rub it.
Then of course I "over did" things on Friday with all the cleaning and didn't quite feel right.
Thought nothing of it though.
Saturday - we had a 1st birthday for our friends' son.
I felt awful. Huge, uncomfortable and AWFUL.
Back hurt Saturday too....had Ted rub it again til I fell asleep.
Sunday - my shower.
However, I felt terrible.
But - like a lady, I put on a happy face and hammered through it.
Everyone helped bring things back to our house.
The unfinished nursery and our guest room were FULL of bags and gifts and boxes etc.
So we go to bed around 11pm.
11:45pm - I get up to use the bathroom, I feel terrible still and my back is killing me.
12:35am I get woken up by my water breaking.
Exactly 4 weeks early.
36 weeks pregnant.
12 hours after my shower.
Nothing ready.
I was terrified. 
I thought it was too early.
I was scared the baby wouldn't be big enough.
I was nervous because my plan was a scheduled C-Section for April 5th
I didn't prepare for LABOR
Mentally. Physically. Everything. I was NOT ready.
But God had other plans....
So here we are in the middle of the night Calling the Dr.
Calling my mom.
Calling my best friend.
Ted was in GO mode. He was so good. I'm so thankful for his calmness in my complete state of panic. It was bad. I might have been in shock.
After FINALLY getting word from a midwife from my doctors office, we were headed to the hospital. At this point, contractions were pretty close and strong.
Again, things that my naïve self was NOT prepared for.
 We got to the hospital around 1:30
I was 3cm dilated and 70% effaced.
In my mind - this wasn't good.
I was still high risk.
Baby boy was still breech and NOT moving out of that position.
I was checked by the midwife who told me my doctor was on his way.
Thank God my doctor was on call!
He walked in, looked at me and my chart and said Ok lets go.
I was off to surgery within minutes.
I was prepped and in the surgery room by 2:45
Ted joined me as soon as I was fully prepped.
He looked so cute in the scrubs.
I was shaking like crazy.
Nerves, medicine, being cold, I don't know but I couldn't stop.
Then before we knew it, at 4:06am
He was here.
7lbs 2oz 19" long
Austin Frank
All my concerns and issues - gone. 
He was here and he was HEALTHY. 
His weight was perfect. 
He didn't need oxygen. 
He didn't need a thing. 
I was so happy. 
Ted was so happy. 
We became mommy and daddy in that moment and we are forever changed. 

In the next week or so I promise to share my nursery reveal because it's FINALLY done after little stinker came in the middle of finishing it!
And I'll share my baby shower pictures too! But for now, some pictures from Austin's big welcome to the world...

At the hospital...ready to meet our boy!

He is here!!


Up for 24 hours but don't care!

The sweetest little nose!

Leaving the hospital! 
(I'll post again on what we grabbed because you know my bag wasn't packed lol) and what I needed and what I didn't need... I'm such a minimalist!

Best daddy ever 

Heading home!

We love you!



  1. Sorry it was so scary! I remember when I went early I felt similar emotions! So glad y'all are okay! Enjoy every minute it goes so fast!

  2. Loved reading your story-he's adorable.
    Hope your puppy is doing well