Wednesday, April 22, 2015

What's Cookin' Wednesday

Crock Pot Beef Stew
This recipe is originally from something I saw on Pinterest
But, I altered it a tiny bit and it is seriously amazing.
Pinterest photo - I was too sick to remember to snap a pic!
 
I'm not typically a fan of stew of any type, but this was delicious!
Hubby loved it, I loved it and my mom loved it!
I will definitely be making this again.
 
So here it is:
 
What You Need:
2 pounds beef ( I used London broil)
½ cup flour
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 large onion, diced
2 bay leaves
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 cups water
3-4 Beef Bouillon cubes, crumbled up
4 medium to large red skinned potatoes, washed & diced
3 large carrots, peeled & sliced
1 stalk celery, diced
 
What You Do:
If you didn't buy the meat that is pre-chunked up, cut your steak pieces to your size liking.  In a zip lock bag, add the flour & seasoning salt. 
Throw in your beef and shake it up until it's coated.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet & add the floured stew meat to the pan.
Brown on all sides.
Remove using a slotted spoon or tongs & place into the bottom of your crock pot.
Season with pepper (The seasoned salt gives you that salt element, so just use pepper)
Saute the diced onion in the same hot skillet for 2 minutes.
Don't worry about cleaning it out in between - that's added flavor!
Transfer the onions into the slow cooker as well.
Pour the Worcestershire, water, & crumbled up beef bouillon into the skillet and whisk until mixed, making sure you scrape up any browned bits in the bottom of the pan.

Turn off heat & set aside for a minute.
Add the diced potatoes, carrots, celery, & bay leaves to the slowcooker.
Pour the broth mixture in the crockpot as well.
Cover; cook on low for 8 hours.
If the sauce isn't thick enough, make a slury of 1 TBSP of corn starch and 2 TBSP warm broth from the crock pot and mix up well, then pour in and stir around a bit.
Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Enjoy!

I know it's not entirely crock pot because of the searing and sautéing and what not, but give yourself a little extra time to do this and then dump everything in and crank that baby for 8 hours on low. It's delicious.


I'm going to post about my baked beans tomorrow...
Check  back in with me then !

~Tiffany~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment